If you didn’t make the Photo Northeast (PNE) convention, you really missed out on something special. This joint convention between the Professional Photographers of NY State (PPSNYS) and Professional Photographers Association of NJ (PPANJ) was another rousing success. Our own Deb Woodard, President of PNE, and her fantastic team of directors from NY and NJ pulled off another great convention full of educated speakers, a packed trade show, an inspirational print competition, and more laughs and friendships than you’ll see any where. Just look at the nut jobs in the photo to the left…
If you stayed home, here is just some of what you missed out on:
- Sal Cincotta, who explained how his portrait sales went from $15,000 to $1 million in only four years;
- Lindsey Adler, who grew up in Syracuse and is now an acclaimed NY fashion photographer;
- Clint Clemons, a Canon Explored of Light, who is one of the most sought-after advertising photographers in the country. If it moves, Clint has photographed it, better than you could ever imagine;
- Tamara Lackey, who showed her beautiful techniques for contemporary lifestyle children’s photography;
- Pat Cahill, who transformed his business and will die a rich man while photographing underclassmen and sports leagues;
- Tim and Chris Riley, wizards of Lightroom workflow; and
- Mario and Marceliano Munoz, who’s Miami-based family business photographs some of the highest-end weddings you’d ever dream of, and they do it in amazing fashion.
This convention is getting bigger every year. In fact, several states are lining up to join us in the upcoming years. You won’t want to miss out next year, so keep your ears tuned for more information.
New GRPP Members
I’d like to introduce several new members that have joined GRPP in the last month or so.
- Amanda Bellucco;
- Toni Berhardt;
- Mary Maheny, Mary Beth Mahaney Photography.
If you see someone that you don’t recognize at any upcoming meetings, please walk over to them and welcome them to the group.
PPSNYS Workshop Scholarships
Each year, GRPP gives out two $100 scholarships to the PPSNYS Workshop that is held at Hobart College. This year’s workshop will be held from July 15-20th and, as always, is the best value in photography schools and workshops anywhere in the country. If you’ve checked out MARS, Daytona school, Texas School or any of the others, you’ll find that their fees are many times more than double what you’ll pay at Geneva. On top of that, you’ll get to sit in a week long class with some of the country’s best photographic educators, including:
- Mike and Tina Timmons;
- Joe Brady;
- Don Chick;
- Stephen Sedman; and
- Jim Cunningham.
For more information about the workshop, instructors, and to register, go to:http://www.ppsnysworkshop.com/index.html
The names for the two scholarships will be drawn at April’s meeting (including 1 alternate, should one of the winners not be able to attend). In order to be eligible for the scholarships, you must:
- be a paid-up member in good standing;
- have been to at least 6 meetings in the last year; and
- be present to win
You do not have to be registered for workshop to win a scholarship. If you win, it might just be the kick in the seat of your pants to get you to register. PPSNYS sponsors one of the scholarships, and the other is sponsored by GRPP. This special GRPP scholarship is named the Sam DeNoto Scholarship, in memory of our friend and former GRPP member who passed away suddenly in 2009.
This Month’s’ Meeting Topic
Stephanie Cunningham is fresh off of a speaking engagement at the PNE conference and will be bringing her highly acclaimed program to Rochester. In her program, entitled, “Old Hollywood – New Equipment”,
The history of Hollywood’s “Golden Age” of Photography will be discussed in addition to lighting and how Stephanie uses them to create the look. There’s just something about the nostalgia and romance of a vintage look image! See how to recreate this classic feel with studio strobes!
Whether it’s a high key look or a film noir, we’ll cover modifying your light to mimic stage lights, backdrops , and styling for your subject. Post processing suggestions in Photoshop to give your image some sparkle!
Everything old is new again!
Stephanie Cunningham is a Certified Professional Photographer from Ripley, New York. She is a current member of PPA, PPSNYS, and SNAPP (where she is serving her second term as president). Stephanie is a past member of NAPP, WPPI and formerly served on the Board of Directors of the Ripley Area Chamber of Commerce. Her education includes studying Photography/MultiMedia at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh.